Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Splish Splash I Was Takin A Bath!

'Cept it's not a Saturday Night. Which might be OK.

But it surely is WET. Yikes.

Started raining yesterday, and has only stopped briefly for short periods of time. Since I *thought* it was a warm-ish rain last night, I didn't worry about putting Phat Boy's winter weight water proof blanket on him. Weeeelll yeah. THAT was a bad idea. Poor guy- by the time I got up this morning and went to check him, he was soaked through and shaking like a leaf in a high wind storm. The Locust Brothers helped me wring the water out and get him covered up, and stuff some warm mash into him. He warmed up pretty quick, the rain stopped for a bit, and all was good.

Of course, THEN a frog strangler, gully washer, holy CRAP look at that rain kind of storm came through.

Luckily, I had checked radar and made it outside to blanket both horses and get them all set.


 The shot above? Yeah that just happens to be of my leg. Wearing my almost knee high rubber boots. With the water from the frog strangler, gully washer, holy CRAP is it raining, rain. It was half way up my boot. LUCKILY, we are on a big sand base, so that will lower fairly quickly and we won't wind up needing a hover craft to get in and out.


I checked both the horses under their blankets, and they were 99% dry. All along the back was fine, but where their manes ran under the blanket and water dripped down the mane hair, they were wet. Hey- if that is ALL that soaks on Phat Boy, who in the above shot is telling me all KINDS of nasty words about the weather, I'll be happy. Regardless... he'll get another warm mash in the morning. (And lest you think I'm leaving Tater out of the warm mash part, he'll get one too.)

It was funny- I honestly expected our delicate flower to be Tater. He is lighter bodied than Phat Boy is and just *looks* more delicate to me. Seems looks can be quite deceptive, as for the past year it's been my mobile red couch that has had issues. While Tate was chilled this morning, he was by no means as cold as Phatz was.

Between yesterday, today and what they're calling for tomorrow, we are looking at around 6" of rain. The old timers up North used to tell me that an inch of rain would equal a foot of snow. So I keep telling myself that we don't have to shovel six FEET of snow and that six INCHES of rain will bring the lake up considerably.

GunDiva saw the above picture earlier and poked me for letting Phat Boy's tail get dirty. Which reminded me-- when it DOES dry out, I need to take some shots of his mane and tail to show off. And Tater's too-- his tail isn't *as* nice as Phat Boy's but his mane is awesome! Kinda cool that I have not one but TWO ponies who have long, lovely manes and tails! Love it!!

OK. The rain is continuing to fall, so I am going to curl up on the couch with a book and try to stay awake until Lt. Handful makes it home.

Happy Trails and be sure to keep your pony in the middle!
~MM

8 comments:

Dreaming said...

Ugh... I've also seen enough of this rain. We are in the upstate of SC and it has begun... again. Ugh! Luckily we had a brief respite and took the dogs out.
Stay dry! I hope everything dries up soon so you don't have to put up with a lot of mud!

Momma Fargo said...

Ooo...yikes! Keep dry! Hope it subsides so that your boots do not runneth over!

Allenspark Lodge said...

Ya know, I always suspected y'all were all wet... ;)

Bill

Shirley said...

Webbed feet coming up?
You could do their tails up in the mud knot, there is a how-to on my blog sidebar.

OnTheBit said...

Yikes! That picture of your boot in water is CRAZY!!! Glad everyone weathered the storm okay.

fernvalley01 said...

Holy Dinah! that is some rain!

ORSunshine said...

I'm done with the rain. Please, no more until it dries out. Then, just gentle, normal, summer showers.

Rachel said...

I am glad you survived the deluge!

(You'd weather it just fine here in the Pacific Northwest - but I'm not sure about your horsies, hee!)