Thursday, March 21, 2013

He's Just A Hairy Kid!






Tater tot, that is. He is literally like a giant, hairy kid.

The Locust Brothers and I have been taking walks behind The Asylum.We use these for school as Nature Walks, and as PE. The dogs go with us all the time and now and again we get feelin froggy and drag the horses along for a walk with us. Yesterday was one such day- we checked Phat Boy over carefully, did a short test wander, and decided he could handle a short trip on soft ground.

Cub had the pleasure of walking with Phat Boy.

I had Tater tot.

Now, Tater had a bit of a spunky, happy look in his eye and keeping him on task was a bit of a challenge at times. Normally, the Locusts and I can walk around back there for an hour before we are ready to head back home. Shoot.. ten minutes into walking with Tater and I was ready to bag the whole deal. I stuck it out though, and kept on keeping on top of Tater. We passed a huge puddle on the way out, and on the way back, Tater was still mighty darn "up". I had Cub park Phat Boy in some shade and went to work on getting Tater's brain back on task. I thought there would be no better way to get him thinking about ME again and paying attention than to move him around in water.

Yeeaahhhh.
Riiight.

I was all psyched thinking what a great training opportunity this was going to be for my green horse. The only one who got trained/ educated at all was ME. Tater saw the puddle, his eyes lit up like a kid at Christmas, and he jumped right into play time in the puddle. At first, I was standing off to one side of him. Tater eyeballed where I was, and I *swear*, he did his level best to AIM the splashing water to try and soak me. No kidding. I'd move away from the spray and that dang colt would move so the water got near or on me again. Finally I just moved in front of him on the other side of the puddle.

By this time, his belly was soaked. His white legs were brown with dirty water and mud. He had a very satisfied look on his face too. I pulled on the line, to get him to move out of the way to see if we could get Phat Boy to the water too, and as soon as I turned to Phat Boy, Tater was right back in the water. We did eventually get Phat Boy to LOOK at the water. He delicately touched his lips to the water, took a sip, made a face like a kid sucking a lemon and spit the water out. (And he POUTED until we got home where he could get CLEAN water to sip. Dork.)

Tater didn't care. He drank some, shoved his face down into the puddle (which came up about halfway to his eyes) and blew bubbles, bit some of the muck in the bottom of the puddle and slung it around trying to get everyone wet. As soon as Phat Boy was back at a comfortable distance again, he watched the shenanigans with a look of utter disdain. I swear, Phatz was thinking, "You are SO stupid. That water could have GATORS in it. Or SHARKS. I am not going to save you when they EAT you."

The biggest giggle of the day?

And if you've had horses around water, you KNOW where this is going....

Tater positioned himself Just So in the puddle, pawed and splashed some more, and next thing we knew, down he went to waller in the holler. He popped up, bounced out of the water, and pranced all the way back home with his new "look".

We passed some smaller puddles on the way back home too-- Phat Boy would look at them sideways and do his routine SNOOOORRRRTTTT while Tater would dance up to them and stomp through them. I think he is part kid, part Labrador.

Today we are skipping our walk. The winds are high and COLD, and being in the woods with freaking pine trees and widow maker limbs and those damn huge pine cones is not sounding like The Place To Be. The horses are happy sucked up to their hay.

Phat Boy this morning had 4 cool feet. Amen.

And on this cold "Spring" (ha- Spring. Right.) day, don't forget you can get Laura Crum's HOOFPRINTS for free on your Kindle for today and tomorrow still!!!!!!!

Happy Spring Y'all-
~MM

19 comments:

C-ingspots said...

Love it!!! I can just picture it and you've made me giggle big-time as I've been there with goofball horses...don't you just love horses with big as life personalities?? And then there are the "princess" ponies with those looks... :)

Cindy D. said...

that seriously made me laugh my butt off. Love them silly ponies.

Momma Fargo said...

Love the post! Love yer spring. Our spring is freakin' 60 degrees below normal. ugh...brrr...

GunDiva said...

So need pictures.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nuzzling Muzzles said...

Ha ha. Gators or sharks. The two horses have such different personalities.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Allenspark Lodge said...

Happy times is a horse that loves water. I have two, on the other hand, ask Bill about HIS horse's thoughts on that! Of course, Ranger has Beel to save him.
Bionic Cowgirl

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tj and Mark said...

Good word pictures. Glad to hear your having fun.

fernvalley01 said...

what a silly guy! wish you could have videoed it

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Rachel said...

I grinned and grinned my way through this post. And totally think you need a video!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.